15 May The Benefits of Solar Water Heaters
Our customers often ask us if it’s worth it to purchase and install a solar water heating system. The answer isn’t always so simple as there are many factors that go into making this decision. This often leads us to do an assessment to determine if a system like this should be installed. If the assessment results are in favor of installation, we then provide our clients with the benefits of installing the system. In this blog post we want to provide you with the key benefits that we share with our customers regarding the purchase and installation of a solar water heating system.
1. Cost Savings – Although solar water heaters are more costly to install than conventional water heating systems, the amount of money you save over the lifetime of your appliance will more than make up for the initial purchase price. For example, you can save up to 80% on your heating bill when using a solar water heating system.
2. Less Space – Did you know that solar panels are usually less space-intrusive than solar photovoltaic panels? This is a benefit that many homeowners have mentioned when describing their experience with purchasing and installing a solar water heater. The fact is that fewer panels are required to heat water than to produce sufficient energy to power a home.
3. Low Maintenance – Once your solar water heating system is installed, very little maintenance is required. The panels can be easily cleaned and the tank itself can be maintained without much effort. While most conventional water heaters lose their efficiency and begin to fail after 10 years, when properly installed and maintained, a solar water heater can last up to 20 years.
4. Low Carbon Footprint – In this day and age we’re more aware of our carbon footprint and how humanity’s past actions have lead to a decline in our overall health as well as the negative effects on our natural environment. Therefore, we are huge proponents of the movement to decrease our reliance on fossil fuels and other processes that cause the high emission of greenhouse gasses/carbon dioxide. Installing a solar water heating system helps in this initiative by using clean solar energy to heat water in the home.
5. Tax Incentives – The State of Hawaii as well as the US Federal Government offers generous tax incentives for installing photovoltaic and solar water heating systems. These incentives/credits dramatically lower the cost of purchasing and installing a solar heating system. Currently the State of Hawaii allows solar customers to claim an income tax credit of 35% of the cost of equipment and installation of a solar hot water system. The credit is capped at $2,250 per system. Further, The US Government offers a 30% tax credit on the cost of equipment and installation of a solar water heating system. There are no caps on the federal tax credits, however, the solar system must be placed into service by December 31, 2019.
It is our hope that this information will serve you well as you consider the benefits of a solar water heater. In addition to the benefits listed, we believe that the installation of solar water heaters can simplify the lives of our customers and will leave our environment and our customer’s wallets a lot happier in the long run. We believe wholeheartedly in solar water heating systems and will be more than happy to answer any questions or requests you may have for installing a solar water heater. Give us a call and let us help you invest in a simpler, cost-effective & eco-friendlier future!