08 May Is Drano Good For My Pipes?
Most of you have probably had some experience using Drano or some other kind of liquid drain cleaner in your life. Further, you most likely had some success using the product. If the product works so well, why do you think that plumbers are against the use of these drain cleaners? Is it because products like Drano take away potential profit from these plumbing companies? Surely a simple fix like Drano can’t be all that bad; or can it be? In this blog post we want to explain what Drano is and how liquid drain cleaners can be dangerous for you, your plumbing system and the environment. Lets dig into it!
What Is Drano And How Does It Work?
Drano is lye-based household drainage cleaner product sold in multiple forms, consisting of sodium hydroxide (lye), sodium hypochlorate (bleach), sodium nitrate, sodium chloride (salt) and aluminum. When Drano is poured down a drain, the sodium chemicals react and mix together with water and aluminum to heat the mixture at near boiling point temperatures. This allows the mixture to dissolve the hair, grease, soap scum, and other debris clogging your drain. It usually works quickly and seems to get the job done in most cases.
Reasons To Avoid Drano & Other Similar Drain Cleaners
Our explanation above seems to give you the impression that Drano is some kind of super product and must be heaven-inspired. But not so fast!!! Although Drano and other similar liquid clog removal products seem to work extremely well, they are actually dangerous for a multitude of reasons. Below we will discuss the main reasons why Drano can do more harm than good.
Drano Damages Your Plumbing System
Although Drano temporarily clears your pipes, it can also damage your pipes. When the chemicals are working together to unclog your pipes, the mixture continues to react and generate heat until the clog has dissipated. This constant reaction and heat tends to eat away at your pipes. PVC pipes can soften and break and older galvanized pipes can deteriorate further causing leaks. Even newly installed pipes can be compromised if the chemical mixture remains in the pipes should the clog not be removed.
Drano Can Be A Health Hazard
The safety warnings on the Drano bottle clearly explain the potential health risks involved when using their product. According the warning label, Drano can burn skin, irritate eyes, hurt your lungs, or even cause death if ingested. Despite being a convenient quick fix for your plumbing issues, the healthy implications can be costly.
Drano Is Bad For The Environment
Residue from harmful chemical cleaners end up in landfills and our water-supply system, causing both harm to the environment, humans and wildlife. This is a big problem for us as we believe in conservation, sustainability and growth. When its all said and done, we want to leave the environment in better shape than when we inherited it. By using harmful chemicals, such as Drano, we compromise the environment and all living things therein.
We understand that budgets and time constraints cause us to use temporary means to solve some of our home maintenance issues. Drano is one of these temporary quick fixes that can actually do more harm than good. Just to recap, not only is Drano bad for your health, your plumbing system and the environment, but it can also cost you thousands of dollars down the line due to the damage that the chemicals cause over time. Our suggestion… Call a licensed plumber for repairs if your sink, tub or toilet is clogged. The cost to inspect and snake your pipes is lower than you would think. Further, it will save you a lot of time and money down the road. If you need any assistance, please don’t hesitate to call us to schedule an inspection. Our highly skilled team will be able to solve your plumbing issues quickly, responsibly, and cost efficiently. We’re here to go beyond the call for you!
Check out more information on Chemical Drain Cleaners vs. Professional Cleaning and see the difference!
"Ian King"Posted at 00:38h, 30 June
Won’t hurt the pipes unless they are nearly rusted out but not good for the environment